9.25.2008

Open mouth, insert foot

Sometimes I'm friendly. For the most part I don't want to talk to strangers, but there are moments I just can't seem to shut up.

Like Monday, we went to see Ghost Town (recommended). As we enter the theater, there is only one couple in the place. They happen to be retirement age. They express gratitude for our arrival because, they said, they "were afraid [they] were going to be the only people in the show."

We laughed and chatted for a moment. Then all eyes were on the twenty. Well, not really. I was texting, Jenn was playing tetris, and Sara was reading her book. They really should make the twenty more interesting if they actually want us paying attention to the big screen.

Then this Lexis commercial comes on touting the virtues of this car that can go up to 170 miles-per-hour. The gentleman behind us leans over to his wife and says, "What do you need a car that can go 170 miles-per-hour for?"

I'm clever, and these are my new friends, and sometimes I just don't know when to keep my mouth shut. So I turn to say, "So you can outrun the cops!"

Oh, aren't I funny? I mean who else but a supergenius comedian would come up with such a remark. The couple laughs at my humor. He says, "That's interesting. I spent 35 years in law enforcement."

I'm starting to wonder if there is a cream for my condition or if the cure involves serious drug-/psycho-therapy.

2 comments:

Tucketts said...

The funny part is that he used to be in law enforcement ... he can't do anything anymore. Although I did hear on my police scanner that there is an APB out for a sexy brunett. That wouldn't be you would it???

RR said...

Hey sidse..how are things going? I don't know how often you blog but I saw yours from Jens. I need to hook up with you guys soon for dinner and movie!!